Sunday, January 6, 2013

January 6, 2013 - Update 10 on Mabel the Rescued Cocker

Watching the snow fall in the yard. . .
I just got the best news ever and I want to share it with all of Mabel’s fans right away. Mabel sent me an email reporting on her new year. I'm so excited! But first let me tell you how Christmas was for the girl. It made me so sad I wanted to fly back to Homer and give her lots of reassuring hugs.
 
Cindy has a terminally ill friend in Anchorage that she always spends Christmas with. She decided to take Mabel to TBTB since it was a familiar place for her, and leave the other two girls with a friend. Boarding three dogs can get expensive, so only Ms. Mabel was dropped off at TBTB for a few days. Kristen/Chris (dogsitters) were aware of our special needs girl as both Cindy and I had filled them in, and forwarded the blog for reference. 

Well the first night was horrible. Mabel howled every few hours, not in pain but sadness.  Although the house is familiar she couldn’t find any of the dog buddies she remembered. The people greeting her smelled different, in fact the place did not smell like home at all to Mabel. She was distraught; the fear of abandonment was rearing its ugly head all over again. Visions of being stuck in the ravine probably filled her mind. Kristin was up every hour to console Mabel, but nothing seemed to help. Her heart was broken and when Kristin called me the next day to talk about the situation, my heart ached for her. Poor Mabel. 

The second night was a little better, but she was still seeking anything familiar causing her to roam around much of the night. Where was Cindy? Where was Suzi? Where was Bette, she wondered? What about the spaniels and DoDog? She continued to meander in search of them in this unfamiliar space. Finally after much discussion a solution was found that made the rest of her stay at TBTB much better. 

Can I help?
Zip Tally, an adorable Corgi client was placed near Mabel at night for comfort. That did it, she obviously missed the warm bodies of her two sisters beside her and having Zip close to her saved the day. She was finally able to relax and get some much needed sleep. After that she was fine but boy was she glad to see Cindy, Suzi & Bette when they came to take her home. Cindy said she walked in the house to find Mabel cuddled in a pile of blankets napping in her pup tent and had to wake her up. But she was more than ready to see her little family and they were happy to see her too! Chris referred to Cindy as a ‘saint’ for fostering this needy little munchkin. 
Mabel's sleeping with Zip and he likes it!

And now for the good news, here is the email with the subject line: Mabel's New Year!

Dear Mom #2: I want to write and tell you about my wonderful new year. I hope you and the pups are having a good one too! Ever since I came back from TBTB without you there, I have been toasty warm in the cute little sweater you sent me. Pink is definitely my color and the bustle makes my butt look very adorable, especially with my plume tail that Lisa Ann gave me the last time I went to the Spa. And the good news? Well I have been sleeping through the entire night without any anxiety meds! Can you believe it? I no longer whine when I lay down. Cindy and the girls are thrilled because this means we all get good sleep every night!

Luv, luv, luv my pink sweater!
I think the change has to do with Cindy upping my Glucosamine – beats the hell out of that Rimadyl that makes me a little goofy and is hard on my kidneys. I am starting off the new year right in spite of the cold weather and snow! Maybe you can send me some boots to keep my feet warm when I go out to pee on cold mornings and have to traipse through 6” of new snow! Cute little booties would be a blessing! Of course they have to be stylish so they match my sweater and pink/black coat that you also sent. I will send pictures in my new coat real soon. I am now eating Canine Caviar lamb & millet, along with my liver pate! Nom! Nom! I love the taste of it! Miss you and the dogs so much, but I will see you in the spring and you will be amazed at how well I am doing for an ole gal! Hugs & Licks, Ms. Mabel xoxo

Pretty in Pink, Peein' or Not!
Recently Homer town woke up to 6” of new snow, and Mabel likes to stay on the covered porch when that happens. However, she meandered out onto the deck toward the edge and Cindy thought she might be inclined to jump in the powder. Instead she gazed out at all the white stuff and squatted to make some yellow snow. After finishing up, Mabel missed the step and accidentally fell forward head first into the fresh powder! Realizing just how cold it was, sweater or not – she scurried back onto the deck and into the house in record time, quickly finding her spot in front of the warm heater. Silly Girl.

Dogs are routine oriented, they prefer things to stay the same. Some dogs are more flexible than others, but when you are 15 years young any slight change causes confusion, disorientation and often panic. This is the main reason Mabel is not adoptable, it would stress her out too much to leave the routine she has grown accustomed to. After this brief episode I know my instincts are right. Ms. Mabel will live out her life being secure and loved with Cindy, Suzi, Bette, Luce, Woody, DoDog, BunBun, Anne Banane, RockDog and Moi. Mabel, we love you! 

Woof! Woof!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Mabel loves her mommies and sisters and brothers. She definitely seeks us out in the house after a nap....
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete